Thursday, April 24, 2014

Michael Phelps on a Comeback


Michael Phelps is the most decorated Olympic athlete ever, winning 22 Olympic medals (18 gold medals including 11 individual golds).  After the 2012 London Summer Olympics, Phelps reasoned: “I would be past 30 by the time the next Olympic. I have achieved what I wanted to achieve. If you can say that about your career, then it’s time to move forward, time to move on to other things. I finished my career how I wanted to.”  

Yet twenty months later, the Flying Fish is back in the US Swimming pool at the US Grand Prix in Mesa, Arizona.  Not only did Phelps win his first comeback race in the 100 meter butterfly, but his 52.84 time was the fastest qualifer for the final. 



The 28 year old Phelps is non-committal about whether he intends to compete in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Summer Olympics, but this sort of result after only six months of training bodes favorably for a fifth Olympic appearance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment